Except when an apt-get based install goes bad, that is, like it did Saturday evening. This is the tale of how I got it back up and running.
First off, I want to note that the narrative below shows the final, successful steps I took that got me back up and running. I actually had a number of failed attempts, but, like a scientist, kept changing one variable until I got a success. The below may or may not work for you, but it did work for me.
Now, to the incident: I'd been installing a few updates on my machine, including updates to mutt and some related programs. All of a sudden, my machine locked up, and I knew it was an irrecoverable lockup once the hard drive light ceased all activity and the clock failed to show any updates.
After reboot, my coLinux daemon silently failed on startup, and I couldn't determine if it was failing to start, or crashing after it booted. It took me a while to figure out how to run it from the command line, but that helped me diagnose the issue. To run the coLinux service from the command line, cd into the directory containing your coLinux executables, and then run colinux-daemon.exe -c yourConfig.xml (where yourConfig.xml is the name of your configuration file; best is to use the full Windows (not Cygwin) path to the configuration file).
Unfortunately, what I was getting was a kernel panic. I decided I needed to go into single user mode to try and diagnose the issue. Googling told me that I needed to add a trailing '1' to the bootparams directive in my coLinux configuration file:
Unfortunately, the kernel panic was occurring prior to the init phase -- apparently, it was having issues with the journaling on the ext3 partition.
So, I was stuck. And then it hit me: if I could boot into a different coLinux install, I could add an additional block device with the root partition of my own, and then do some disk analysis. Fortunately, I had the original Debian image I'd downloaded to use with coLinux, so I started experimenting.
Sure enough, I was able to grab my partition, run an e2fsck on it, and even use tune2fs to remove and restore the journaling. The partition mounted fine and I was able to peruse the data without an issue.
But I still couldn't boot it, which left me in a bit of a situation: all my current work is on that machine, and I have my dual-apache setup on there (for PHP 4 and PHP 5). I needed to be able to boot it.
The first step was to create a new 10GB partition with a working Debian install on it. I copied the working Debian install (which is < 2GB), and found a utility called toporesize that could resize the partition to my desired 10GB. The process takes a fair amount of time, and, because it's disk and CPU intensive, heats up the laptop something awful, so I started it before bed and set aside the machine.
In the morning, I changed my coLinux config file to boot this image -- and it worked flawlessly. A quick df -l showed that the partition had indeed been resized. Now it was time to test apt-get to install those programs I'd been trying to update. All went perfectly.
I quit the session, added a block device for my old coLinux install to the coLinux configuration, and restarted the virtual machine. The device was found, and I mounted it locally so I could start rsyncing. I needed to rsync my /home and /usr/local trees, as well as some key files in my /etc tree (samba configuration, resolve.conf files, hosts file, and a custom apache initscript). Again, this was a time and CPU intensive operation; however, it was now morning, and time to be working, so I limited my activities to checking email while I waited.
The end result is that I have a shiny new install with all my tools, and, better yet, all my working data. Better yet, I now better understand how coLinux works, and know I can recover fairly quickly and effectively from failures in the future.blog comments powered by Disqus